Search

16 Feb 2026

Sinn Fein to continue boycott of White House events on St Patrick’s Day

Sinn Fein to continue boycott of White House events on St Patrick’s Day

Sinn Fein politicians will not attend St Patrick’s Day events in the White House, the party has confirmed.

Party representatives have previously carried out engagements in Washington DC during the same week that the sitting taoiseach visited the city as part of a diplomatic drive for St Patrick’s Day.

However, the party announced on Monday that it is continuing its boycott of events at the White House which began last year over US President Donald Trump’s support of Israel during its war in Gaza.

Party president Mary Lou McDonald and vice president Michelle O’Neill, who is also Northern Ireland’s First Minister, ruled themselves out of such an engagement in 2025.

The move was described as a “big mistake” by Taoiseach Micheal Martin at the time, with the Irish premier meeting Mr Trump in the Oval Office.

The US president told reporters during that meeting that he had not heard about Sinn Fein’s decision.

The SDLP and Alliance Party also stayed away from the White House last year, while Northern Ireland’s deputy First Minister, the DUP’s Emma Little-Pengelly, met Mr Trump.

Mr Martin has confirmed he will meet the US president next month.

In a statement on Monday, Ms McDonald said it was important her party uses its voice to “demand that international law is upheld”.

She said the situation in Gaza and the West Bank “remains dire”, adding that Israeli attacks on Gaza had continued despite talks of a ceasefire.

Ms McDonald said: “Sinn Fein will not attend St Patrick’s Day events at the White House this year.”

She added: “The genocide continues. Civilians are still being killed. Homes are still being struck. Families who have already lost everything continue to live under fire.”

Ms McDonald said the Good Friday Agreement which brought about the end of the Troubles in Northern Ireland showed the world that “peace is possible”.

She said: “It is important that the eyes of the international community remain focused on what is happening in Palestine and it is important that Sinn Fein uses its voice to demand that international law is upheld and peace and justice prevail.”

Ms McDonald said the ties between Ireland and the US are of “key importance” and acknowledged the role of Americans in the “peace process and in the campaign for Irish reunification”.

She said: “Sinn Fein will continue that work with senior representatives on Capitol Hill, the trade union movement, business leaders, Irish American organisations and the diaspora.”

Ms O’Neill told reporters at Stormont the decision is “absolutely the right call”.

Asked about Mr Trump’s lack of knowledge of Sinn Fein’s boycott last year she said: “I don’t do this to satisfy Donald Trump, I do this because it’s the right thing to do.

“I’m not going to the White House because I think it’s about standing on the right side of history, and it’s about calling out a genocide, and it’s about calling out those international communities that have actually failed to take action and stop Israel acting with impunity.”

She added: “It’s not about impacting Donald Trump per se, it’s about taking a stand for humanity.”

To continue reading this article,
please subscribe and support local journalism!


Subscribing will allow you access to all of our premium content and archived articles.

Subscribe

To continue reading this article for FREE,
please kindly register and/or log in.


Registration is absolutely 100% FREE and will help us personalise your experience on our sites. You can also sign up to our carefully curated newsletter(s) to keep up to date with your latest local news!

Register / Login

Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.

Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.